Week 5: Story Planning Progress
Progress on My Digital Story
My digital story, Voices of Multilingual Learners, is progressing well. The script is nearly complete, and I have finalized the structure for each scene, from the opening narration to the students’ personal reflections. Currently, one student’s full script (Ilse) is written, and I already recorded the interviews with the other two students, Nermina and Mohammad. I am working transcribing their responses. I plan to capture classroom footage and student interactions within the next week.
To be prepared to share during Week 7, I will finalize all video clips, add subtitles and captions for accessibility, and edit the story using iMovie or CapCut, as noted in my production notes. I may need some assistance with fine-tuning transitions, music selection, and ensuring the final video meets accessibility standards such as clear audio, captions, and pacing.
Application Tools and Production Resources
This week’s resources provided helpful insight into the variety of tools that support digital storytelling. I plan to use:
-
iMovie or CapCut for video editing and sequencing scenes.
-
Canva for creating opening title slides, lower thirds (student names and countries), and closing credits.
-
Pixabay for royalty-free visuals that complement the narration.
According to Bouchrika (2023), digital storytelling enhances engagement and creativity by allowing learners to combine visuals, audio, and personal narratives. These tools are also excellent for classroom use because they give students the opportunity to develop communication, critical thinking, and digital literacy skills. Ohler (2013) emphasizes that integrating digital storytelling in education fosters both literacy and empathy as students craft and share authentic stories.
Authentic Audience and Impact
The authentic audience for this story includes teachers, administrators, other staff in my school community, and multilingual learners. The goal is to raise awareness about the experiences and resilience of multilingual learners. Teachers who view the film may gain a deeper understanding of how language and identity shape student experiences and how intentional support and inclusion can make a significant difference.
For multilingual students, seeing their voices and stories represented on screen can be empowering. It validates their experiences and helps others appreciate the courage behind learning a new language and adapting to a new culture. As Lambert (2010) notes, storytelling builds empathy and connection, creating spaces where every voice is valued.
Skills and Knowledge Developed
Through this project, I have developed skills in scriptwriting, interviewing, and digital media editing. More importantly, I have deepened my understanding of culturally responsive teaching and the power of narrative to advocate for students. The process has shown me that storytelling is not only a creative endeavor but also a tool for social awareness and educational inclusion (Ohler, 2013).
Impact on My Community and Role as Educator
Engaging in digital storytelling has the potential to build empathy and inclusion within the school community. Students who share their stories strengthen their sense of belonging, while peers and teachers develop greater cultural awareness. As an educator, my role is to amplify these voices, guide students in digital expression, and ensure that storytelling becomes a pathway for understanding and empowerment.
My hope is that Voices of Multilingual Learners will spark conversations about how schools can better support and celebrate linguistic diversity. Storytelling, as Bouchrika (2023) describes, bridges differences and transforms learning into a human-centered experience that honors every perspective.
References
Bouchrika, I. (2023, July 28). Digital storytelling: Benefits, examples, tools, & tips. Research.com. https://research.com/education/digital-storytelling
Lambert, J. (2010). Digital storytelling cookbook. Center for Digital Storytelling.
Ohler, J. (2013). Digital storytelling in the classroom: New media pathways to literacy, learning, and creativity (2nd ed.). Corwin Press.
Hi Kelli,
ReplyDeleteWhat you are sharing here is very informative and inspiring for me. Building empathy and inclusion within the community is an essential goal in the multilingual context. Beisde that I agree that digital story telling is making more engagegement and creativity for the learners. Everything is going in the right direction to get a great DST. Good luck!